Lonavala is one of the beautiful hill station situated near the district Pune at Maharashtra. It is popularly known for its pleasing nature sight, ancient caves and food beverages. This green vast 32sq km hill station is attracted by thousands of tourists, domestic as well as foreign, every year.
Lonavala which derived its name from Sanskrit word ‘len avali’ meaning ‘series of resting place carved from stone’ is witness of several dynasty like mughal, yadava etc. Many great rulers of Maratha and Peshwa had their forts in this region. Lonavala is discovered in 1871 by Lord Elphinstone, the British governor general of India during those times.
Popular tourist attraction
Lonavala is an important town in Mumbai-Pune road link, so can be reached out easily. Its Famous tourist attraction include-
- Tiger point: A beautiful nature scenery where cloud hugs the mountain. This lovely point is located at Amby valley road ahead of bushy dam. The spot has small shops on the top and adjoin with temple of goddess Durga.
- Pavana Lake: A breathtaking view where lake touches the mountain feet located around 22 km from Lonavala.
- Lohagada fort: This iron strength fort of the great Chatrapati Shivaji is easily to reach from Lonavala. You can enjoy the rocky view and hilly terrain of the place.
- Bhaja caves: These are the beautiful multiple small caves located near Malvali village. There is an awesome waterfall next to the cave.
- Rajmachi Park: Enjoy a great view of valley from this small and cozy park shedder with lot of greenery.
- Wax museum: It’s the new attraction for the tourist modeled on the concept of famous Madam Tussauds museum of London. It is located only 3 km away from the railway station at Varsoli, near Toll Plaza.
- Kune waterfall: A panoramic view of clean water falling from mountains hands to the green lap of the nature. This place near the Lonavala valley, Khandala is just to take your heart away.
Popular Nearby Hotel
You can find almost 50 hotels in Lonavala that will suit your budget and style. Some of them are-
- Lion’s den hotel- it’s a budget hotel of Lonavala.
- Hotel Gautam, the Lagoona resort- they are the medium hotels.
- Sahil Sarovar Portico, Hotel Mittal Residency- the luxurious ones in Lonavala.
- Kumar heritage- the prestige hotel of Lonavala.
Popular Food joint near Lonavala
After numerous adventures at Lonavala you need delicious food. Lonavala is very famous for its hard candy sweet called ‘chikki’ throughout the India. The street has plethora of choices for dining out and offers continental, Chinese, Indian, south Indian all you name. The hot vada paos and roasted corn are there for your grumbling tummies.
Best things to do
Lonavala is best for its tracking expeditions and mountain climbing. You can enjoy several sports, cycling and be sure to buy different snack and wafers of Lonavala. Come here in monsoon and experience the natures pleasing beauty. Enjoy a luxury tour of Maharashtra with Deccan Odyssey.